Sunday, January 31, 2010

Suzy's Delicious Black Bean Soup with Cilantro Sour Cream

I warned you all that I would probably lose interest in blogging about the things I cook and I did not disappoint. My last entry was Dec 3rd. Trust me when I tell you it was not the last time I cooked! My scale tells me different.

Today I was really craving some flavorful soup and after looking through my refrigerator I had some cilantro, limes and a red pepper along with a whole lotta other stuff that I must have bought for some other use and forgot what I was going to make with it. This happens to me often. I have some very odd cans and jars of things in my cupboards and have no idea why I would have bought them except for a recipe long since lost. Anyway I'm rambling. On to the soup. This could be made as I did or if you like a thick pureed soup you could blend 1/2 or all. Personally I like seeing all the beautiful vegetables I'm eating so I left it as is.






 Suzy's Delicious Black Bean Soup

I used canned black beans for this but if you prefer you could certainly start with dry.

1 large onion diced small
4 T Olive Oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced  (I used about 1 T of jarred jalapenos)
1 red pepper chopped
1 yam chopped into 1/2" cubes
2 carrots diced small
1 celery rib, chopped small
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped small
1/2 t salt
1 T cumin
1 t chili powder
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 cup chopped smoked ham
2 slices bacon chopped small
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 T molasses
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In large soup pot  heat olive oil over low heat and add the onion, garlic, salt celery, sweet potato, apple, carrot (ham and bacon) and jalapeno. Cook all until softened. Stirring occasionally. Approx 10 minutes.

2. Add cumin and chili powder, cook another 5 minutes.

3. Add drained beans, broth, water, molasses and simmer until all vegetables are tender and flavors have meld.

4. Add juice of 1 lime and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Cilantro Sour Cream 

1/2 cup sour cream
2 T minced fresh cilantro
juice of lime

Mix together and serve a dollop on top soup with extra cilantro leaves as garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment