Saturday, October 10, 2009

When life gives you apples, make apple pie.

s
So I'll be honest. I don't make pie. Why? Because rolling dough terrifies me. I don't even bake Christmas cookies that require rolling. Do you have any idea what sort of sick fun I could have decorating gingerbread men and women? I have denied myself this pleasure all because I fear the rolling pin. So today for whatever reason I decided to take another stab at using the ol' rolling pin. And voila! I did it and it was easy! Maybe it was the recipe I used, maybe the last 10 years that have gone by since attempting it I have become more patient maybe it was the second glass of wine that gave me the courage...I don't know. What I do know is that I am going to have some seriously funny gingerbread men and women to share with you in the coming months. Look out!


My First Apple Pie


The dreaded crust...this makes enough for a double crust 9" pie. Though I cut one up and got all fancy and made a lattice top.

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup very cold water

Mix shortening , flour sugar and salt together with a fork or your fingers until very crumbly. Add as much water as needed to hold together, and mix lightly with a fork. Divide ball of dough in half.

Take a deep breath and roll one ball of the dough gently to about an inch larger than pie plate. Fold carefully in half. Lift to pie plate, and unfold. Fit into pan. Roll second ball of dough and cut into strips and lay over filled lower crust and weave. Good Luck!

For the Apple Pie Filling
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
8 Granny Smith or whatever baking apple you have on hand - peeled, cored and sliced

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes

Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Do your magic with the pieces of crust for the lattice top. Carefully pour the sugar and butter mixture over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off. And for crying out loud don't burn yourselves..that stuff is hot.

Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees , and bake for another 35 to 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment