Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pumpkin Brownies

Pumpkin Brownies. A cakey chocolate brownie bottom layer with a top that reminds me of a moist and spicy pumpkin bread. These are delicious and really easy to make. I am always on the lookout for a new and interesting cookbook and I stumbled upon a new one on Amazon last week called Fat Witch Brownies, a bakery in New York City that specializes in brownies. Anyone that can make a living by baking brownies and brownies alone is a genius and hero in my book. Not to mention someone I envy. She is living my dream life. Her,  and Meryl Streep in "It's Complicated" She had my dream life too. And my dream house.

I went on a baking binge yesterday and spent nearly all of what I budget for one weeks groceries on nothing but flour, sugar, butter, eggs, pumpkin,  coconut and chocolate chips of all varieties. My kitchen was covered in a 1/8' layer of flour that had me up until midnight cleaning but it was totally worth it. Anyway, here you go.




Pumpkin Brownies 

Brownie Bottom
7 T. Unsalted Butter
1/3 Cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 c plus 2 T granulated sugar
2 Large Eggs
1/2 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
1/3 c Unbleached Flour
1/4 Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional)

Pumpkin Top
6 T. Unsalted Butter (softened to room temperature)
1 C Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1/2 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling
1 1/4 Cups Unbleached Flour
1/2 t. Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
1/2 t. Cinnamon
1/4 t. Ground Ginger
1/4 t. Ground Nutmeg
1/4 t. Ground Cloves
1/3 cup Coarsely Chopped Walnuts (optional)

Grease a 9X9 inch pan with butter and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350.

To make brownie bottom, melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate chips in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool. I use a double boiler. If you do not have one I suggest a heatproof bowl set over a simmering pan of water.

Beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla together until smooth. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and continue beating until well combined.

Measure the flour and salt and then sift together directly into the batter. Mix gently on ow speed until well combined and no trace of dry ingredients remain. If desired, stir in the semi-sweet chips. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and set aside.

To make the pumpkin top, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until well combined. Add the pumpkin and mix well.

Measure the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and then sift together directly into the batter. Mix until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains. If desired stir in the walnuts.

Pour the pumpkin top evenly over the brownie bottom layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 34 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with only crumbs not batter on it.

Remove from oven and cool on rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.

If I were you and I'm not telling you what to do but I would serve these with some whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment